A theory already? Why yes, yes it is. Jul 23, 2010 14:06:42 GMT -5
Post by dirtyyasuki on Jul 23, 2010 14:06:42 GMT -5
I agree. Indeed I think finding the true cause of the problems in RC will not be so simple for this avatar as stopping the evil overlord of one nation. Or resolving the issue of nature/spirit world vs. tech/science
As Bryke said in their interview, crime is rampant in the metropolis of Republic City. So from that I realized some things:
• If RC was founded by the Gaang as a way to bring the nations together to resolve their differences after the Fire Nation wars, then it stands to reason that before the prominence of steam tech, RC was founded and governed by benders well over 70 years ago.
• And if the above is true, then it's not too far of a stretch to consider that the ruling government in the city-state of RC are comprised mostly of benders (possibly descendants of the original founders).
• If said ruling class of benders views non-benders embracing steam tech as a threat to their hegemony, then it's possible that they would also take steps to ensure their authority isn't undermined by the emerging new class of citizenry who show no deference to benders.
• If oppression exists that was perpetrated by the benders in the first place then I can see why an anti-bender revolt would arise and so would crime.
• Not to mention if the crime rate in RC is that rampant as implied by Bryke then it's possible that the government of RC is also corrupt by reputation and by extension giving benders a bad rep in RC.
• Nevermind the possible animosity and conflicts arising between benders and members of all four nations living in one cramped and crowded place.
All of which I'd say Korra has got her work cut out for her...